Parents and Guardians,
In light of recent news reports, this notice is to inform you about the district's efforts to deal with the issue locally and to help ease any concerns that may be out there regarding the Coronavirus.
LGUESD is working closely with Merced County Department of Public Health (MDPH) who are, in turn, working closely with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and monitoring the situation. The group is also establishing protocols for schools in the event that Coronavirus does spread in Merced County. More information will be shared as this plan develops.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the health risk to the general American public remains low but they also say an outbreak in the United States is likely. Federal, State and local health officials are actively engaged in ensuring residents across the state remain safe and protected.
Everyone can do their part to respond to this emerging public health threat. The following are some ways to prevent exposure and further spreading:
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue to cover coughs and sneezes, then dispose of the tissue. When a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Find additional CDC resources on how to clean and disinfect schools.
- Wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing hands often under clean, running water can help prevent the spread of germs. If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol.
We will continue to send out updates as more information becomes available.
To learn more about the Coronavirus, here are some local and state and federal resources